Saturday, January 24, 2009

walgreens and taco soup


One of these days I'll get around to figuring out how to add pictures correctly, for now enjoy this picture of something random. Okay, not so random, it's a pic of L and her "I didn't have a brownie" look.


I'm getting ready for a soup swap on monday - so here I am making a huge stock pot of taco soup. I need to bring 6 quarts of soup to trade and in return I get to bring home 6 quarts of others(hopefully) different soups. Now, 1 quart is not enough to feed my family, but it will make an interesting addition to what we would already be serving. I really am excited about this venture, it's going to be with people that I really don't know, okay, so far I only "know" one person and that is the person hosting and we've chatted once at play gym. So, I guess it's also an opportunity for me meet new people too. Yeah, me! New friends! If you'd like to get to the recipe it's at the bottom of the post.

Last night I ventured out with the girls and went to get in on a couple of Walgreens deals. I really wanted to see how much I could not spend and I think that I did pretty good. See if you can follow below.

First transaction
2 Kotex pads - 2 for $6 on sale
2 boxes of Kleenex tissue $1.99 ea
2 bottles of Dawn dish soap $1.99 ea
1 box of bottle inserts - we needed these $3.49
1 pkg of wipes (walgreens brand and basically a filler) on sale $1.99

I had:

2 mfg coupons for the kotex -$1.00 off of one
2 mfg coupons for the dawn -$.50 off of one
1 wags coupon for the kleenex $.99 ea (limit 2)

2 RR coupons for $5 (from previous trips)

total out-of-pocket (oop) $3.74 !!!!! and I got a $1 rr for the kotex

I saved $18.48

Second transaction:

3 pkg of 4 rolls Angel soft $1.59 ea
1 pkg of 12 rolls Charmin $6.99 ea on sale

I had:
1 wags cpn for the angel soft $1.29 (limit 3)
1 RR cpn for $5 (from previous trips)
1 RR cpn for $1 (from transaction #1)

.... and the cashier handed me another RR cpn from a previous customer who didn't want it ( I know... crazy!!!)

1 RR cpn for $3 (from said cashier)

total oop $2.77 and it wasn't even technically oop, I used my gc from a previous wags refund! I forgot that I even had this when I came through the first time it all could have been free if I had used that. I'm still kicking myself for not finding additional coupons for the toilet paper, oh well, another time.

So, yeah for me! I got $35.18 worth of stuff for $3.74 out-of-pocket!!!!

And now for the taco soup recipe:

taco soup - by Tory

(this is a doubled/tripled recipe for some)

2lbs browned crumbled ground beef (ground turkey, chicken, pork what have you)
w/chopped dried onions/salt & pepper
2 cans pinto beans -drained and rinsed
2 cans diced/chopped tomatoes -not drained
2 15oz cans of tomato sauce
4-6 cups water
2 pkgs of taco seasoning -to taste
1-2 T. of dry ranch seasoning (dip mix)\-to taste
1 T. cilantro (fresh or paste)
1/4 shredded carrot
1 cup or more of frozen/canned corn


Add browned meat to stock pot, followed by the rest. Simmer for approximately 1 hr.
serve w/ corn chips, tortilla chips or bread(corn bread would be delish!), cheese, and
sour cream

Freeze in quart sized freezer ziplocks flat (easier to stack) or other freezer container.

To reheat: defrost in refrigerator and heat and serve as stated above - YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment