Thursday, January 15, 2009

chili a la me

Okay - so, I was tweaking the chili recipe I had found and ended up creating my own. Let's just say that J and I loved it. The kids, not so much. M claimed tummy ache upon seeing it in her bowl, she then piled on the sourcream, cheese, and chips. She ate it all but again claimed tummy ache and forgot to do her chores and retired to her room. Sometimes, I wish I could claim tummy ache and hide too. Oh, laundry - damn, I've got these cramps and I just think that you're going to have to go without underwear another day dear (runs and hides). Or, L has a dirty diaper.... hmmm... my hands just went numb and I think that I'm going to pass out, I'm going to bed - next? I also found myself not in the mood to sit there and wait for my bread to rise( for the bread bowls) so I baked mini corn muffins instead and EVERYONE loved them, well, except L- she just spat them everywhere. A little too crumbly for her liking. I then proclaimed that I had planned it from the get-go and all was well in the land. I will add my chili recipe at the end of this post if my "follower" is interested in giving her hubby some tummy love. Everything in my chili I had on hand already, so no trip to the store(yeah!).

Okay, really this is going to be a boring post so I'll just throw in some sales I spotted this week, that I will hit up this weekend. Albertson's is having another great 10 for $10 sale. Definitely a good week to stock up on Hunt's tomatoes, tomato sauces, spaghetti sauces, bone in chicken chicken breasts/whole fryers/drumsticks/thighs are 10 lbs for $10 (sometimes you can find these for less -but it's rare here in WA), Having pointed this out - you may want to check out that they also have frying chicken leg quarters on sale for $.59 lb. in the 10 lb bag,campbells condensed soups are 10 for $10 and their tomato/chicken noodle are 20 for $10; Also, SELECTED Kellogg's cereals are on sale for $1.25 ea. when you buy four boxes.
I like to hit up these sales and stock up. What's even better is there are quite a few different cambell's/Hunts/Kelloggs coupons floating around and you can match those up for an even better deal.

That's it for now, so now for the recipe (sorry no pictures, it really wasn't that pretty anyhow)

my basic chili recipe


approx. 2 lbs browned ground turkey (beef or other meat substitute)
1 T olive oil
3-4 T dried chopped onion
1 can kidney beans -drained and rinsed
1 can black beans -drained and rinsed
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes -entire contents, I use petite cause the kiddos aren't the biggest fans
1 packet of beefy onion soup mix
1 T paprika -more or less to taste
1 T cumin -more or less to taste
sprinkle of ground cayenne pepper -to taste
lots of pepper
a bit of cilantro (yum!)
a bit (maybe 1 T taco seasoning)
2 cups of frozen corn

prepare in above order, (except for the corn)I cooked it in a cast iron dutch oven- you can throw in anything you want with this more veggies would be delightful too- I waited to put the corn in until about 20 min before serving. Simmer as long as needed but at least 30-45 mins to get those flavors, I had it simmering for 4 hrs. This would be an awesome recipe in a crockpot too!

No comments:

Post a Comment