Wednesday, January 14, 2009

two words... CINNAMON ROLLS

Dinner tonight is soup/sand/salad - well, I'm making homemade chili and bread bowls. I'm trying a new recipe since it's just the kids and I tonight and I'm hoping it will be a hit - I LOVE CHILI!!!

In the meanwhile, I love cinnamon rolls. I used to love my grandma's rolls - then an evil new food entered our local mall. CINNABON. I would dream of having a roll and then would make it a point to visit everytime I could, I would even make up some reason to go shopping just so I could say "oh, I love cinnabon. We must have one before we leave." Um yeah, it was that evil. Now, I have that evil kept up in my recipe file for me to use whenever I damn well please. So, now I will share it with you. First off, thank you mrs.pinecone for posting them on hotcouponworld.com. Really, a general search on google and you too can claim your own possession story. BUT REALLY THEY ARE SO DROOL WORTHY... and so worth the extra bits of rolls on my hips.



*don't make fun of my photos -it was taken with my cell and I'm slowly learning to post pics - just feel blessed to have that to salivate to


Copycat Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls

DOUGH:

2 pkg yeast (very fresh) or slightly less than 2 TB bulk yeast
1 t sugar
1 c warm water

1 c warm milk
2 tsp salt
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c butter (about 1 stick + 2 T)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
7-8 c flour

FILLING:

1 c melted butter, divided into 2 1/2 c portions
1 3/4 c sugar
3 T cinnamon

GLAZE:

2/3 c melted butter
2 t vanilla
4 c powdered sugar
4-6 T hot water

-In a cup, combine yeast, 1 t sugar and warm water, stir and set aside. In a large bowl (it fits in the KitchenAid, BTW) mix milk, remaining sugar, melted butter, salt & eggs.
-Stir well & add yeast mixture. Add half the flour and beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough slightly stiff-- it will be sticky!
-Turn out onto well-floured board. Knead 5-10 min. (I actually use the dough hook and knead in the mixer for 5 min.) Place in well-buttered glass or plastic bowl. Cover, let rise in a warm place until doubled: 45 min to 1 hour 15 min. When doubled, punch down and let rest 5 min. Roll out into 15 x 20 inch rectangle.

To prepare filling: -Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Prepare a 1/4 sheet restaurant pan OR a 9x13 AND an 8" square by spreading 1/2 c melted butter on the bottom. Sprinkle with 1/2 c of the cinn-sugar mix.
-Spread dough with 1/2 c melted butter. Add walnuts & raisins if you want to! -Sprinkle the rest of the cinn-sugar evenly over the surface.
-Roll up jelly-roll style and pinch edges to seal. Cut into 12-15 slices. (If using the commercial pan, all 15 will fit in 3 rows of 5.)

-Let rise in warm place until double-- about 45 min.
-Preheat over to 350, bake 25-30 min until nicely browned. Cool for 5 min.

To prepare glaze: -Mix melted butter, vanilla, powdered sugar; add hot water 1 T at a time until glaze is spreading consistency. (Usually 4-5 T) Spread over rolls.

I let them sit a bit to let the icing melt and get into every little crevice. In the meantime, go ahead and lick the icing bowl you totally deserve it! When you're done with the bowl, the rolls that you've slaved over all day are ready to be devoured. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment