Monday, January 11, 2010

mmm.... bread


The other morning I woke up and had this hankering for fresh baked bread. Knowing that I couldn't just go down to Safeway, because I loathe that bigbox, grocery hoarding store, I would have to find a recipe that I could work with. I have tried baking bread countless times. I've made all different kinds, some have turned out okay, and others have failed miserly. Not even the local seagulls were interested in picking up the scraps -it has been that bad.
-not saying this one was bad, just doesn't compare

So, my search began. It is no secret that I am a huge fan of The Pioneer Woman. I have been reading her blog/website for over a year and have loved every moment of it. So when The Tasty Kitchen went up I was ecstatic. A site that not only Ree would post her fave recipes on but so would countless other women/men who have this undying love for Ree's site, and the love of food. That's where we are now, I found a recipe for a simple white bread. Of course, as usual with everything, I messed with it-changing amounts, and well, I even added some basil to it by mistake. This has to be the best gosh darn bread that I have ever baked. It turned out just like the picture (hey, we live by pictures here), except better because it was in my frickin' house and I made it!

It was so hard not to carve into it the moment it came out of the oven. When it had cooled just enough we(the kids and I, although I was hoping nobody else wanted any) sliced up the smaller loaf for a snack - holy goodness! The butter melted into the bread and it needed nothing else. And it was gone. The second loaf was gone within two days - I even shared some with the gals down at The Cracked Bean Coffee Co., aren't I nice? This recipe was easy and turned out so good. Definitely a new addition to our recipe book for sure.

While this bread was baking, I asked my #3 in line(the one with the crazy eyes, she gets that from her dad's side) "Do you smell that baby?" She gave me a funny look and said "Did you fart mommy?" in response, without laughing, 'cause that's how I handle everything, I replied "no sweetie, I was talking about the bread." and then ran to my room and cried -okay, I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment