Thursday, March 11, 2010

easy homemade granola


No excuses! Granola is incredibly good for you and easy to make. It is versatile, delicious, and completely customizable. My family likes it as a snack and I love it as a cereal too -toss some nanners on it and hmmmmm.

I'm also brewing two kinds of tea today. One jar of black tea for iced tea -which I love just plain, nothing added except lots of ice. The other jar will be a concentrated batch of Yerba Mate -which I bought in bulk from my local herbal shop. There are a few brands out there that you can pick up that are both certified organic and fairly traded. I really enjoy my yerba served over ice with a dash of milk and bit of vanilla syrup. Next time I'm at Costco I'm going to pick up the organic agave syrup and give that a whirl with it.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon The Happy Housewife's recipe for granola. Seemed easy enough and we've had a hankering for a good snack. I've made this twice in the last week and obviously it's been a hit with everyone. So I'll share not only her recipe, but a step-by-step with pictures on how to make it. Like I said, it's so easy to make that there is no way you can't make this! Next week's batch I plan on adding sunflower seeds and almonds to it. Just think of the possiblities! Thank you so much Happy!

Easy Granola

3 cups dry oatmeal
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup wheat germ

First melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.

excuse this picture bad kitchen pic day
Add the honey and salt and briefly heat with the butter.

Turn off the heat and add the oatmeal and wheat germ. Stir.

Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet. Spread the mixture out evenly and bake it at 375° for 10 minutes.

It will be a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.


Just a couple of notes -the ten minutes in the oven is not quite long enough for us, we like it a bit crunchy, so somewhere between 10-15 minutes depending on how hot your oven runs.


Read more: http://thehappyhousewife.com/granola/#ixzz0h8uJ8goD

1 comment:

  1. yum, yum and yummo yum. We made this this morning because we had visitors coming with kiddo's the same age as mine, so knew that it 'might' be a hit. Well, I'm off to make a batch now that we might keep in the cupboard this time, because that lot is all gooooone!

    ReplyDelete