Wednesday, April 7, 2010

hmmm... turkey stock

My house smells like TURKEY!

We didn't have one for Easter, but I had the carcass of one from Thanksgiving or Christmas -can't remember, but there are a couple in that thar' freezer. I haven't had the chance or maybe I wasn't willing to, but I knew that I wanted to make a stock from those bones, and today is the day. I know, it's random and I don't have anything on the menu that will use it, but I want to make a homemade noodle soup soon and will need it for that.

Here's what I did -sorry, no pictures yet but I will post something so you get the idea.

frozen turkey carcass -most stripped of everything, there's even some surprise frozen inside.
a couple of carrots, scrubbed and sliced/chopped up tops and all
an onion, quartered with skin and top
half dozen peppercorns
a dash of kosher salt
approx. 2 tsp of parsley
approx. 2 tsp of rosemary
approx. 1 tsp of celery seed - I would have used celery stalks if I had any around
water to cover the carcass

put it in a large enough stock pot, boil then set to low and simmer for several to 24 hrs. Let cool a bit and strain the broth through a colander with cheesecloth or clean muslin over a large bowl. If not using cheesecloth or muslin, strain a couple of times to get all the chunks out. You can then either fish out the veggies and freeze separately for further use in a soup or toss the whole mess into the trash. Then put the stock into your choice of freezer container and freeze until you're ready to use in soups, gravies, or sauces. I'm going to freeze mine in freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment