Thursday, February 25, 2010

delving into deep sh...

One hell of a way to start a day. Well, I apparently got myself volunteered to help with N's preschool class on a field trip today. No biggie, I've done it before. Then, I realized it was to the Museum & Arts Center. Huh? Why in the... who would do this? The main reason for this particular visit is to see the bones of a local find, a Mastadon. The kids study this week has been on dinosaurs. If two things should never be mixed it would be eight, 3 year olds and a bunch of unguarded old bones. I was sweating serious buckets of sweat, because I was also dragging along the Lu monster.

It started out pretty uneventful, a relatively easy short bus ride into town. The kids held hands in nice chain formation across the street to the Sequim Museum & Arts Center. We walked in and they (the two volunteers) looked surprised that we (me and ms. teacher)were bringing in a gaggle of toddlers, who were still hyped up from that awesome bus ride where they didn't have to ride in carseats. We quickly shuttled them over to the mastadon exhibit. I have to say that I was a little less than impressed by the jaw bone, rib bone, front leg and rear leg bones of this hairy elephant, but it seemed to suffice the children for about three minutes before they were spinning around, screeching, and touching things. And if anyone knows a three year old -they all scatter.

Ms. teacher and I managed to keep our cool and curious fingers from touching shit (for the most part) for the forty minutes we were scheduled to be there. And guess what? Nothing got broke. Well, okay one little turd managed to peel a "No touch" sign off of a model of an old school house and my little monster Lu removed the arm off of the rocking chair -that I quickly stuck back together in such a smooth fashion that no one noticed (I think). There was minimal arguing -and only two mishaps where Lu didn't want to share her big sister's hand, that truly deserved the throw down temper tantrum that ensued. All-in-all not too bad. For the most part, we all survived.

I even received an invite for future field trips, which I quickly turned down and ran for the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment