Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Meatloaf. 'nuff said


I love meatloaf. LOVE IT. Okay, not THAT Meatloaf. I love meatloaf freshly out of the oven, next day with mayo on a slice of bread, even the day after that -if there's any left!

Whenever I make meatloaf I always bake an extra loaf for sandwiches. The sandwiches are more anticipated than the dinner itself. If I ever think that there won't be enough for sandwiches the next day. No one eats. It goes straight the fridge and everyone gets cereal. That's the way I roll.

Who doesn't love leftover meatloaf? Okay, my kids don't, but they don't count. Here's a fun factoid about me, I haven't always been a lover of the loaf. I don't know if it was how my mom made it, what was in it(or what I thought was in it), or the fact that it had the word "loaf" in it, which in itself just sounds icky. Then when I was a sophmore in highschool I had a friend that brought a meatloaf sandwich to school. She asked if I wanted a bite. I cringed, but was captivated that her "loaf" didn't have stuff in it. It looked kind of good, like a smashed meatball- and hoova knows I love meatballs! So, I accepted and my tastebuds squealed in delight! I loved it!!!! From there on out Betty always packed an extra sandwich just for me!

I made meatloaf this last week. One in the crockpot, the other in the oven. I wanted to see which I loved more. While my crockpot loaf took the better of the afternoon, I was able to wait until evening before putting the other in the oven. I decided that I would share my meatloaf with the fam for dinner, the crockpot was finished first. When I started to slice up the loaf I was horrified at the "burnt" crust on the bottom. I had burned my loaf!!! And in the crock of all places to boot. Aw, the humanity! It was still good, but there was a lingering flavor that just wasn't right. What was left from dinner (no one except me had seconds) and the oven loaf went in the fridge for sandwiches. First to be finished was the crock loaf and it was much better on day two. The next two days was the oven loaf and it was heavenly!!!!!! I'm sorry all you crockpot fans (that includes me too) but meatloaf must be made in the oven. I don't exactly know what it is that makes it taste different but it just did and therefore the oven will have it - well, at least for my next day sammies!
sorry no pics of said meatloaf just cute kids

Here is my meatloaf recipe
I must warn you I make this to taste and I never measure!

2-3 lbs of ground beef (sometimes I'll substitute a pound ground turkey)
an egg or two
1 cup of breadcrumbs(homemade or canned), oatmeal, or cornflakes
pepper
salt
a bit of dried onion
a pkg of onion soup or beef onion soup mix
a bit of milk
a couple of shakes of Worcestershire sauce (more than less)
a couple of squirts of ketchup and mustard


mix together and form into one or two loaves

mix a couple of squirts of ketchup, mustard and some Worcestershire sauce and spread on top of the loaves

bake at 350 f for a good 30-45 minutes, just keep checking it.

Sometimes for shits and giggles we'll throw some grated cheddar in the mix and also sprinkle it on top. THIS IS WAY YUMMY. What would make it inexcusable and sinful would be if we were too add bacon and butter and deep fry the bad boy. But that would clog up our arterties and send us to an early death - we'll hold off just a bit longer on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment